Monday, November 9, 2009

Konichiwa Japanese Restaurant


katsu curry rice

Konichiwa Japanese Restaurant is in that group of restaurants on Baldwin St. (east of spadina, between college and dundas) and one of the few places in Toronto for authentic japanese food. It's a small place so there aren't that many tables and they really cram them together...so if you're planning to rob that bank, probably not the best place to talk about it here. I first went here a few years ago and had a pretty decent bowl of ramen but haven't been back since then.

As part of the ongoing search for the best japanese curry in Toronto I had some high hopes for this place...maybe a bit too high. Though not the cheapest place to have lunch the katsu curry rice here is ($12.95 + tax/tip) which I thought was pretty expensive for a plate of curry (well for my cheapass standards anyway). With the usual pork cutlet, rice curry, comes some steamed vegetables and the red pickled...something. Points for the red stuff which I personally like and not every place gives. The pork was alright, maybe a bit thick for my liking, but other than that no complaints. The curry however was disappointing and I found lacked alot of flavour especially compared to some other places. Overall just not worth the price.

Konichiwa gets alot of positive reviews from people so maybe the curry just isn't one of their star dishes...and that bowl of ramen I had years ago was pretty good so I can't say stay away entirely but I definitely wouldn't recommend the curry here.

Konichiwa Japanese Restaurant
31 Baldwin St.
Toronto, ON
RATING: for the curry but maybe a given everything else

2 comments:

  1. yea...ramen there is absolutely amazing...guess I won't be going there for curry now

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ oh really? I should really go there and try out their ramen one day then.. :)

    I never really had a good Japanese curry either lol.

    ReplyDelete